Sunday, June 10, 2007

Yosemite the untold story

This adventure report comes from Rob Phillips, who figures that by now he has spent over a year total in Yosemite and plans to return as often as possible.


Climbers returning from a trip to Yosemite always tell of seemingly never-ending walls of perfect granite, the brutal but rewarding "slogs" to the top, gorgeous views, and challenges overcome or left waiting to be overcome on the next pilgrimage out there. But what climbers rarely pass on is how great rest days are in Yosemite. As climbers, we will go to some pretty nasty spots seeking out a challenge (VRG etc.), but here in Yosemite- rest days can be just as spectacular as climbing days.

I was lucky enough to spend a week in Yosemite in the middle of May and enjoyed some perfect late spring weather. As usual, I brought along my bike, which makes getting around the valley much easier, since there are paved trails to a number of beautiful spots. I spent my time biking around, lounging on the beach, hiking to some gorgeous views, and in general, enjoying the beauty of the area.

So the next time you're in Yosemite to send your sick proj', make sure to set aside some time to take in the splendor and beauty of the National Park.

Oh yeah, while I was there, I also made it up Mr. Natural, the Moritorium, Waverly Wafer to Butterballs, Lower Cathedral sport climbs, and Astroman.

2 comments

2 Comments:

Blogger powstash said...

I'm headed there in July! Wasn't sure if bringing the bike along was worth it.

6/19/2007 9:49 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

I think it is absolutely worth it. Having a bike also makes it easier/faster to get to the nicer bathrooms at the Lodge restaurant as well as to Curry village and the pay phones (but the cell phone coverage has improved a lot- so you might not need them).

I've never bothered with a lock, but this year my bike went awol. Fortunately though, it turned up after some searching around. So you might want to consider bringing a lock to prevent having to hunt it down in the case it sprouts legs.

Have fun in July!
-Rob

6/20/2007 8:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home