Thursday, March 06, 2008

Greg Hill's Longest Run

OK, so stating absolutes like "THE Longest Run" may get me in trouble with the nit-picky crowd but I was checking out Greg Hill's blog today where he posted the video below recounting his 7700' ski run off of Hat Peak in the Monashee Range of Canada. While it's not the longest run in the world, it's longer than anything I've ever skied continuously, by nearly 2000', and certainly a feather in your cap. Check it out:



After poking around Greg's blog it's easy to see that this guy is getting after it in a big way but the cool thing is that he's not tooting his horn. Just sharing stoke and seems happy to be out playing in the mountains. He recently posted about ski guiding a group of older skiers whose average age was 62 with the oldest guy being 71. In that post he said:
I would like to ski till I am eighty. To be that old skier who constantly rambles to young kids about how it used to be around here before the ski hill. How Roger's pass was once a quiet solo place.

Reading that reminded me of a guy from Park City that I recently blogged about who for his 60th birthday set out to ski 60K vertical in one day and ended up blowing it away by finishing with just over 84,000'.

So while skiing a run of 7700' is definitely a long one, perhaps Greg's longest run ever will be to ski until he's 80. I hope he, as well as myself, make it that long.

--Check out Greg Hill's blog - it's going into my RSS reader.

Labels: ,

7 comments

7 Comments:

Blogger kor_engles said...

Have you skied Aire lately? Noticed some nice tracks on the north face.

3/06/2008 9:02 AM

 
Blogger powstash said...

Nope, haven't been to Aire lately. I just got over a nasty cold that kept me lazy (riding lifts) for a couple of weeks.

Yesterday I did hit the bowl just south of Aire that is farther into Lambs Canyon. And people say the Wasatch is crowded - saw zero people, zero tracks and more lines than I could ski in a day with a posse of 6. Creamy pow - get after it!

3/06/2008 10:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you access off Murdock Peak and run the ridgeline west for about 20 minutes?

3/06/2008 10:53 AM

 
Blogger kor_engles said...

powstash my regular touring partner's wife is ready to have a baby so I'm shopping for some touring partners to do some dp's and the longer spring tours. Live on the same side of the hill as you and ski out of the The Canyons.....if your interested drop me a line.

3/07/2008 6:36 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Love your videos and pic's. I'll check back to watch more fun and fantasize about skiing myself.

3/23/2008 9:35 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Fun videos and great pic's. I'll check back soon to view more skiing and fantasize me doing the same.
-Sarah

3/23/2008 9:38 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Fun videos and great pic's. I'll check back soon to view more skiing and fantasize me doing the same.
-Sarah

3/23/2008 9:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home