Monday, February 25, 2008

Colorado Panty Tree Photo Contest

I remember the first time I saw a panty tree at a ski resort. It was 1996 and I had move to Utah from Oregon. I can't really say why Oregon (Mt. Hood to be specific) didn't have panty trees. Lack of anything but evergreen trees? Perhaps. My lack of attention? Unlikely.

But that first view of a well decorated panty tree at then Wolf Mountain which is now The Canyons was one of wonderment, comedy and beauty. I had never considered such a thing and was in awe. Indeed, I was a jong and didn't know it. There adjacent and slightly below the Condor lift was a perfectly placed aspen adorned with bras and panties of all colors, sizes and styles. Beads and other effects rounded out the experience.

A few pairs from that first year lasted into the next season. Even while hunkered down, hood pulled over my head in a raging storm during the eternal ride that was the Condor double chair, I'd manage a glance as we passed over the tree, anxious to see which pairs had withstood the wind's fury.

The next season The Canyons took over and the tree was promptly cut down. Other trees around the resort began to be adorned but the results were sporadic and without reason, much like a lifty on the relationship rebound. It was as if the community couldn't decide upon a single tree. To this day I can't help but remember that amazing sight on the Condor ridge whenever I see a pair of lace panties hanging from a tree.

Colorado Panty Tree Contest

Around the time I was catching my first glimpse of a Panty Tree in Utah a legendary tree in the Back Bowls of Vail was reaching its prime. It was of such legend that the Vail Daily even wrote about it a couple of years ago.

So it was while riding the Pioneer Lift at Park City Mountain Resort the other day that I had the idea. Since I'm sitting on a comp ticket to Arapaho Basin Ski Resort and it's unlikely that I'll make it to Colorado this season it's time for a contest, a photo contest.

With that, I'm stoked to announce the Colorado Panty Tree Contest. That's right, we're giving Colorado their day in the sun. After all, up for grabs is a lift pass to a resort in Colorado. The lift pass was "thanks" for Backcountry.com's sponsorship of the Arapaho Basin Beacon Bowl but it'll be yours as thanks for sending us the best picture of a panty tree in Colorado.

The Contest Details

Images: Images must be taken by yourself and composition is key to winning this contest. Sure, anyone can take a photo from the chair lift but I want to see some creativity and some beauty (on or behind the tree).

Photo Submissions: e-mail all images to backcountryhorde AT gmail DOT com and I will then post them to the Colorado Panty Tree Photo Contest Bubbleshare image slide show which will be to the right. If you can resize the images to something managable, (i.e. - 800 pixels wide for example) it's appreciated but not mandatory.

Contest Dates: February 25 - March 17, 2008

1st prize - A lift ticket to Arapaho Basin valid until the end of this season, a Backcountry.com Wooly Jacket - Men's or Women's (you choose) and a Backcountry.com beanie of your choice.

Runner Up - Backcountry.com Wooly Jacket - Men's or Women's, once again you choose.


Example - Here is an example of a Panty Tree in Vail taken by "BlowSnow" and posted to the Outdoorzy.com Blog.

Panty Tree from Vail Colorado - taken by Outdoorzy.com Blog
I'd suggest taking a picture on a day that hasn't seen 12" of new overnight, but you get the idea. Good luck!

Labels: ,

2 comments

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Panty trees are retarded and ugly.

Yay....I threw some panties in a tree!!!! woo hoo.

Awesome!!!!! a bunch of garbage in a tree.

2/26/2008 12:54 PM

 
Blogger powstash said...

hey anonymous - tell us how you really feel

2/26/2008 1:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home