Friday, October 12, 2007

Goat Sightings in Little Cottonwood Canyon

Rich Lambert leading Bushwhack Crack in Little Cottonwood CanyonIf you're a climber and especially if you're in Utah, then these past three weeks have been amazing. With afternoon temperatures reaching the low 70's the sun warmed granite of Little Cottonwood Canyon has been at its prime.

For the most part I've been climbing at the Crescent Crack Buttress and the Gate Buttress and although there was one day with plenty of crowds (a Friday afternoon) I've seen only a couple of parties otherwise.

Yesterday afternoon my buddy Rich and I arrived at the Schoolroom to find we were the only ones there. Far cry from two weeks ago when there was a University of Utah climbing class there. We enjoyed some good conversation that day as we headed up Schoolroom West.

Plugging gear has been on the menu and yesterday I was "served" while heading up the first pitch of Bushwhack Crack. As we started up a couple of guys I knew showed up (Dan and Matt) and just after arriving at the first belay I snapped this shot of Dan setting up anchors at the top of the first pitch of Schoolroom Direct:

Dan the man setting an anchor on Schoolroom DirectI commented about the goat on his helmet and he tossed back , "I've gotta keep the sponsors happy". (His wife Liz works for Backcountry.com)

After leading the second pitch which goes up and to the right we descended a bit and then rapped down to the base of the wall. I was second to rappel and after pulling the rope I walked back to the start of Bushwhack and found Rich talking to a guy named Mark who was belaying his buddy on top rope. I thought they were long time friends as they were talking about ski traverses in the Ruby Range of Nevada but after another minute or two of good conversation I realized they had just met. It's a pretty cool community of climbers when you can spark up a conversation with a fellow climber whom you just met and talk about similar passions for the outdoors like you're long time friends.

Mark's buddy Paul rapped down and as he arrived I noticed he too was sporting the goat on his helmet. He actually had a black on one the other side in addition to this white one.

Paul, if you're out there comment below with your e-mail address and I'll make sure you get a Goat shirt or a water bottle. Great running into you out there and I'm glad to see you sportin' the goat.

Labels: ,

4 comments

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan and Liz said...

I love Kendall and I love seeing Dan climbing! Thanks for the K. Oh, and I also kind of like that Matt guy, he's OK ;)

10/12/2007 12:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good times were had at the school room. Just got back from climbing Castleton Tower near Moab over the weekend with Mark and some other friends. If you would like more "goat" shots send me your email.

Paul
plarkin9@hotmail.com

10/15/2007 8:15 AM

 
Blogger powstash said...

Right on Paul, sounds like a great trip. Check your mail.

10/15/2007 11:50 AM

 
Blogger knuckledragger said...

Here's another sighting at Jax Cliff in the Uintas:

Elusive Uintas Goat

Check the lower right corner

10/23/2007 11:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home