Friday, July 25, 2008

Getting deranged in my old age?

This summer ski report comes from Rob Phillips, who had his 36th day of skiing this year on his 36th birthday.

Though Jake claims in his recent post that skiing after July 12th would make him "officially deranged", I've always wanted to ski on my birthday (which falls on July 23rd). Thanks to this year's above average snowfall, I had the chance to make this desire a reality. My friend and I headed up to Alta for some turns on snow patches on the Devil's Castle East Face and Apron. The skiing conditions could be best described as a sun-cupped wonderland of rocks and dirty snow. Even so, we had an amazing day.

We ended up doing laps on two different snow fields, but we would have been much better off having stuck to a single snow field and doing laps on that one. This is because skiing the same area repeatedly smooths out the sun-cups and makes for really excellent spring-like snow conditions.

2 comments

2 Comments:

Blogger JakeCast said...

YAAAA!

Nice turns, specially for a b-day in July :-p.

Mine birthday comes on Oct. 9 and I always know it will be a good year when I'm shredding on in.

Last year was no exception.

Cheers,
Jake

7/26/2008 8:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday: I see no reason not to celebrate Christmas in July so to say. Glad you had fun.

7/27/2008 7:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home