Monday, July 21, 2008

Highway to highway . . . the other direction! July 5-6, 2008

After walking from Donnelly to McKinley Village and staying the night in Cantwell, Dylan and I rode the Denali Highway from Cantwell 135 miles to Paxson. We had a mix of rain and sun, saw some incredible country, and made it in 2 days. Thankfully, there were two places with coffee and prepared food, and no bushwhacking!

Dylan headed out of Cantwell


Blurry picture, but a good picture of the fully-loaded bike!
On the McLaren River bridge after 2 hours of eating and coffee drinking. We also gave away some weight, so the last 42 miles were much easier on the back!
Heading toward McLaren, the 2nd highest road pass in Alaska!
Headed toward the storm.
From there, we rode into a huge rainstorm and rode the last 20 miles in October-like weather: rainy, windy, and cold! The combination of 3 downhills pretty much sucked the heat out of my body, leaving me quasi-hypothermic by the time I got to Paxson lodge, but all's well that ends well!

Labels: , ,

3 comments

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooo

7/23/2008 7:49 PM

 
Blogger Michael Meiser said...

Great post, even better pics.

On a side note, I can't believe you can bike with that full pack on your back. I don't think I could hack that.


Was just looking into overnight solo bike touring recently have been trying to figure out how I can store all the gear in the the bags... particularly a tent and sleeping bag.

7/27/2008 10:26 PM

 
Blogger Kellie said...

I agree that the large pack is difficult to accomodate, and I would definitely suggest minimizing the amount in it! You could easily put a tent on your handlebars (that's where I had my packraft) and a dry bag filled with a sleeping bag and warm clothes on a back rack. Alternatively, you could check out www.epiceric.blogspot.com for some nifty bike packing custom-made gear. Good luck, and have fun! Feel free to chime back in if you have more questions - I'm happy to share any tips I know!
Kellie

7/28/2008 9:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home