Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The snow is always whiter?

Sometimes I realize that I have become exceptionally spoiled living in Salt Lake. While skiing this past weekend at Snowbird, I was reminded of this fact once again. To be honest, I was rather unimpressed with the start to the skiing season, with only two lifts open, bazillions of frenetic skiers and boarders, miserably long lift lines (or at least, ones where you had to wait a FULL 2 minutes!), poop for snow, rocks everywhere, and the list went on and on...

Having an AWESOME dayLuckily, I spent both days skiing with a friend from Lyon, France, who raved about essentially every aspect of the experience. Compared to his home ski mountains, the runs were not crowded at all. He recounted endless days of really and truly terrible snow, interspersed with just a few that equaled our "bad" snow, insane lift lines, etc. It was really refreshing to be reminded that we truly do have incredible skiing here in Utah. And while the snow last year, and to date, hasn't been stellar compared to our typical seasons, we are still way ahead of most everywhere else.

So for those of you like me who have been grumbling, moaning and whining- stop it and start enjoying yourselves out there!!

3 comments

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It must have been a different Lyon, France than the one near Les Arcs, Courchevel, and Val Thorens...

12/06/2007 9:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you folks in SLC are serious babies. sack up, put your skins on, and go find the good snow. whatever you do, do not head north to targhee/jackson areas. things are terrible around here ;)

12/06/2007 11:47 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

brendan: I've never been and was just reporting what I'd been told. Certainly didn't mean any offense.

skighee: I am not much of a tele-skier myself (I know, I know... save the preaching- let a girl from South Texas learn to at least alpine ski first, mmkay?) ;) but as I understand it, even the good backcountry areas here are even starting to get somewhat crowded. So this certainly isn't limited to the developed hills. But the issue of limited resources (esp. pristine outdoors areas) is one that a lot of people on this blog deal with and think about. Hope a similar fate doesn't befall you in Targee/Jackson.

12/09/2007 9:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home