Friday, September 14, 2007

Realizations

Mountains surrounding the Cirque of the Towers, WyomingOften when I head outside it is to realize some objective or goal that I have daydreamed. My vision becomes tunneled, I don't see anything else other than that day's aspiration, whether it is a line to ski, crack to climb, or trail to run. I get laser-focused on the recreational agenda that I often overlook everything else that is outdoors.

On a recent trip to the Wind River Mountains I experienced one of those "moments" when everything comes back into focus. One of our trip purposes was to get in some sport climbing at Wild Iris. Due to timing and weather we weren't able to get in any climbing and faced a lot of down time.

One morning was particularly lazy. I found myself lying on my back in the middle of the Shoshone National Forest watching the clouds slothfully drift by, memories of previous outings replaying through my mind. In my memory it seems that during each and Wind River Mountains near Tomahawk Lake, Wyomingevery trip I allowed some form of 'distraction' that kept me from appreciating what was around.

I think that sometimes we get so caught up in the hustle-and-bustle of everyday life that we often bring the hustle-and-bustle into the wilderness with us. How often do we overlook the simplicity of nature? When was the last time you laid on your back on a mountain side, lazily watching the clouds go by? How often do our "agendas" distract us from garnering what we came seeking from nature?

Heading out into the mountains is a way to let go of the complexities of life. It was nice to have a moment of realization of why it is that I try to get outside as much as I can. Now every time I go out I try to keep in mind why I’m there.

Labels: ,

1 comments

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I have similar experiences all too often. Get up *this* peak in *so* many hours, climb *this* route, ski *this* line.

I think it's important to take the time out even when pursuing our goals to step back and observe and enjoy our environments. The trick for me has been to build in set times where I do this, like when I get to the top of a route. I try to remember to pause for a moment to take in the view before asking to be lowered.

9/20/2007 12:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home