Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Mountains Give More Than They Take

Yesterday's article in the New York Times (click on it while it's still free to read) about the life and last days of Doug Coombs life was very well written. If you didn't get a chance to read it do so now! It's worth the 7-9 minutes of your life.

The most poignant part of the entire article was the last line which was a quote from Emily Coombs that read:
"You know, the mountains are full of dangers, and they swallow you up," she said. "But mostly, they give."
Strong comment, especially considering the source and context. For all the days I've spent in the mountains, all the sunrises and sunsets and everything in between and for how alive it's made me feel and how that may have traslated to the type of person I am for my family and friends - if the mountains became my grave the reality would be that the final moment was but one single moment of a multitude where I was the debtor.

Check out the photo gallery from the NYT as well - a couple of photos are from the final day that Doug spent skiing in La Grave.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home