Thursday, June 05, 2008

Spring Cleaning




I started organizing gear today, I can't believe how much stuff is going on my back. I've never spent 3+ weeks on a glacier before, we just got our packs in from Feathered Friends based out of Seattle, they rented us the Terraplane LTW 99Liter packs, that should suffice. Tomorrow I'm making a trip to the hardware store in an attempt to build a mountaineering sled, I think the crux is going to be convincing the lady at the airline counter to let me check a sled in place of a second bag. T-Minus, 8 days and counting.






What we lack in planning and organization we more than made up for with physical conditioning. We have been doing cardio everyday for months as well as an athlete specific lifting routine for almost 6 months now, even if we don't summit at least I'm healthier and stronger than I have ever been. We've been playing outside the gym as well climbing about 4 days a week. We just got back from a fun trip down in Moab, we went to climb in the Fisher Towers area. Learning how to trad-climb is a little scary on sandstone, but our trip was a complete success nonetheless.



As of now we are just trying to get all our ducks in a row. A lot of planning goes into trying to orchestrate a successful summit. All of our gear is going to be tested constantly for weeks. I am going through all the gear trying to clean/repair and decide what could fail, what could turn us around, and how we could fix it. Deciding the cheapest and best possible way to accomplish everything is time-consuming. We are still missing quite a few pieces of random gear, time to send a backcountry.com order or two.

0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home