Thursday, December 13, 2007

This comes in that? A picture post

I've never actually seen Under Armour in it's packaged form (this is the internet folks, if I haven't bought it I don't know what the packaging looks like) but I've seen it on people, mostly football players. I was reading the Snaz and they were talking about the packaging from this little base layer not only being Super Sized but that it isn't recyclable. So essentially -

This:
I'm feeling buff just looking at this
Comes in this package (which doubles as a great storage facility for dog food):
recycle me
But the packaging won't do this:
Ah, the landfillLeaving the only option for it to end up in this:
Ah, the landfill that hides our sins
If that's the case then I'm not really stoked on this:
Under ArmourShouldn't they pass some regulation on the size of packaging and waste exceeding that of the product? More weight requires more gas to transport, and more resources to build not to mention more in the land fill which leaves me more empty thinking about how Under Ar-more should do more to make less.

Read the rant at thesnaz.com

Labels:

4 comments

4 Comments:

Blogger Adam Buchanan said...

just wrote a 15 page essay on green marketing and who is doing it right and who is doing it WRONG! Great example of a horrible package. "hey choncho! Can I borrow some sweats?"

"sometimes real men, wear stretchy Under Armour"

12/13/2007 11:29 AM

 
Blogger Eric Miller said...

Solid post.

There are far too many companies that use excessive packaging and far too many consumers who continue to purchase products in that packaging (myself included sometimes).

I have often wondered why all plastic isn't recyclable and why doesn't everyone use 100% recyclable packaging?

Chances are, that plastic could be recycled but it would most likely turn into something like a curbside trash can.

You definitely could reuse it and that would be a little better.

Thanks Under Armour for getting that wrong.

12/13/2007 11:59 AM

 
Blogger powstash said...

great comments guys.

I think the next time I buy something that has excessive packaging that I'll open it right there in the store at the checkout and leave the packaging for the store manager with a note telling him to contact the manufacturer and tell them to lose some weight.

@climbingrocks - [nacho accent] "my life is esselent, i luv it"

12/13/2007 1:25 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

The dog food container idea is hilarious! I really try to figure out how to use all the packaging materials that come with or gear.

This year I've kept the extra packaging and used it for Christmas gift wrapping (I just paint Xmas designs or something on it).

I know it doesn't look quite as "professional" as real gift wrap, but it's better than generating even more waste for those items that don't come in boxes when you buy them.

12/17/2007 1:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home