Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Guides Pick - Lowa Civetta Extremes Boots

Mountain Guide and Backcountry.com Athlete Nate Smith reports from Mt. Shasta, California about his Lowa Civetta GTX Extremes

Lowa Civetta GTX Extremes BootThe Lowa Civettas really stood out this past summer season while guiding on Mt. Shasta in California. They’re super warm, durable, easy to put on, extremely comfortable, and best of all, they come in red. With or without a load, these boots performed much higher than my expectations. From snow slogs up avalanche gulch, to 70 degree snow/ice on the hotlum-bolam ridge, I was never second guessing my footing.

The Civettas have an easily removable Gore-tex liner with complete rubber sole. This added ease when walking around the rocky high camp on the north side. Other pluses include step in crampon capability and extreme stability.

Lowa Civettas in action high on Mount ShastaAs a coordinator for the University of Utah’s Outdoor Recreation Program (ORP), I urged the purchase of a complete fleet of Civettas for their rental program. They arrived last week. It was as though Christmas had come early. The boots will serve the student body in mountaineering/ice climbing cooperative outdoor adventure trips. Also, they will be ready for the public to rent. A full size range from 5 to 13 is available. You can see the prices for the Civettas and all other equipment at their rental rates page.

I’m excited to continue playing hard with the Civettas. I hope to use them this winter for a solo ascent of Aconcagua, and guided climbs of Shasta. They’ll continue to be my top choice for all mountaineering style climbs.

Check out Lowa boots at Backcountry.com

5 comments

5 Comments:

Blogger outdoorspro said...

Now that's what i call i good product review.

11/02/2006 12:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad they don't fit that many peoples feet, very narrow boot

11/03/2006 4:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the shops in Shasta had them as their rental boot. As a guide, I found that my clients who used them found that they were comfortable and user friendly. I never heard any complaint of them being a very narrow boot. Also, I have a somewhat wider foot and they fit great. It’s too bad you didn’t have as good of luck. I'm excited to have them in the University of Utah's Outdoor Recreation Program for rental to the student body and public.

11/04/2006 6:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the shops in Shasta had them as their rental boot. As a guide, I found that my clients who used them found that they were comfortable and user friendly. I never heard any complaint of them being a very narrow boot. Also, I have a somewhat wider foot and they fit great. It’s too bad you didn’t have as good of luck. I'm excited to have them in the University of Utah's Outdoor Recreation Program for rental to the student body and public.

11/04/2006 6:32 AM

 
Blogger Bryan said...

I have wide feet. Do what I did - Find a ski boot fitter you trust. These can be widened like any ski boot.

4/27/2008 9:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home