Wednesday, July 02, 2008

How fast is fast?

The last time I climbed the Grand Teton, my climbing partner and I did it car-to-car. We weren't looking for any speed records, just an outing to climb a peak.

Fact of the matter was that we didn't have more than 2 days to squeeze out of a couple of busy schedules which precipitated the car-to-car style. So we headed north, slept in the back of his Tahoe and after a grinder of a day topping out on the Grand, we ended up at the car around 14 hours after we started. Nothing special by any stretch of the imagination.

A Billy Burger and a Big Gulp later found us rallying back to Salt Lake City.

Grand Teton summit marker - photo by Kendall Card

Then I read today on TetonAt.com about Jimmy Chin's solo car-to-car adventure of climbing and skiing the Grand Teton, Middle Teton and South Teton in under 11 hours! Sounds pretty fast...(thinking back to our meager 14 hours for one peak)...that's damn fast! Kudos Mr. Chin.

--Details and map at TetonAt.com

Labels:

2 comments

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fast to be sure. I always wanted to climb in the Tetons. Ever since I saw the move Shane, I loved the colors and shapes of the mountains.

7/03/2008 9:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to travel to the Grand Tetons ever since I saw them in Shane.

7/03/2008 11:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home