Monday, November 05, 2007

Attention All Gear Sluts

If you're reading this you're either a gear slut or you're lying. C'mon, we're all gear sluts. Take this simple test:

Do you have more than one pair of skis?
More than one climbing rope?
More than 1 outer wear jacket?
More than one fleece jacket in the closet?
More than 2 pairs of ski socks?
More than 1 day pack?
More than 2 beanies?
More than 1 pair of Chacos (or sandles)?

If you answered "Yes" to any of the above, you're a gear slut. Welcome to the team.

Kim Havell, Backcountry.com athlete and official gear slut, is pictured below taping up for another session in Castle Valley, Utah. She took the 3 step program. You should too.

Backcountry.com Athlete Kim Havell openly showing that she too is a gear slutThere's no escaping this affliction. But there is a way to cope. I give you the three step program.
  1. Admitting you're a gear slut is the first step.
  2. Don't be afraid to let people know. Grab a GearSlut tee from Backcountry.com (GearSlut ladies version) and proudly display it to the world. (the men's happen to be on sale for $11.17 - sorry ladies)
  3. Third step is to sell blood, dig under the couch cushion, empty the change from your ash tray, or list that garage full of old gear on GearTrade or Craigslist and start the acquisition phase all over again.
I feel ya, trust me.

Labels:

9 comments

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...how many of the questions above do you have to answer "yes" to before your gear slutting evolves into full blown gear addiction...because I answered yes to 7 of 8. I mean, everyone needs a quiver of skis , outerwear, and sandals, right? right?!?!?!

11/06/2007 9:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynn's Man! A gear slut?

Curious - which one didn't you answer "yes" to?

I don't qualify (only one climbing rope and snowboards only) but I still want the t-shirt...

11/06/2007 10:51 AM

 
Blogger Mike Sharp said...

Agree with Rob, is that the hardest list you can come up with? I also scored 7 out of 8 and I'm not even a climber! I'm throwing down the challenge flag.

11/06/2007 12:16 PM

 
Blogger Milly said...

I think I am 10 gear sluts in one persons body!

I have a problem and I love that I have a problem. Better than being a real slut!

I do not think of anything in dollar amounts, I think of it in gear amounts. Like...
when I pay rent and hand over that money I think of how much gear I could have bought. When I go to the store I don't buy certain things because in my head I am adding up the amount of rock climbing shoes, snowboards, jackets, beanies I could buy with the money not spent at the store that day!

11/07/2007 10:07 AM

 
Blogger Adam Buchanan said...

look im working on it! down to one pair of skis though, bam! couple jackets yeah totally...sandals, don't go there. couple ropes, dangit! thinking about what softshell im gonna go with next....indefinitely.

11/07/2007 2:00 PM

 
Blogger powstash said...

@rob - I'm curious to know which one you didn't say "yes" to. You sir are a gear slut.

@sharmp - too easy? challenge flag? I'm sensing a contest here.....stay tuned

@milly - I like the way you think. I thought I was the only one with gear demons in my mind...let's see, if I get the $.99 burger and water then I save enough to buy half a quick-draw...

All joking aside though, how do you rationalize consumerism and gear slutting when considering the enviornment and trying to reduce waste (consumer and manufacturer waste)? Is that too *heavy*?

11/07/2007 2:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two shells, two fleeces, 6 pairs of ski socks, 3 day packs, 2 beanies, 5 pairs of skis, and 2 pairs of Chacos....but only one climbing rope, and its used mostly for mountaineering belays.

:)


btw, just in case anyone is wondering- I am in fact a different Rob Story than the fellow who writes all the articles for skiing and outside magazine. I find it very interesting that two people with a rather uncommon name share such similar tastes...

11/07/2007 7:33 PM

 
Blogger Eric Miller said...

It's true, I am among the gear sluts myself...I too answered 7 out 8 (recently retired my second rope).

Like Milly and powstash I find myself calculating things in terms of gear. But instead of looking at prices of other items in terms of dollars, I look at them in terms of "man that's 1/5 a pair of skis, or that's 3 'biners, or that's half a new jacket."

To answer pow's question, I usually weigh my options. The majority of the time, my gear purchase will get more use (and longer use) than if I were to purchase something else.

Also, it's far easier to pass gear onto someone else than it is other items. For me, less ends up in the landfill if I go the gear route.

11/08/2007 10:36 AM

 
Blogger dave said...

inside the mind of an Economic Major..

[inner monologue]

Sure $2000 is alot for a mtn bike but lets think here, Say I ride it for 2 years, 50 days a year...thats a good amount, right? Ok thats STILL $20 a ride! Sweet Jebus! Ok well lets say I ride it for 5 years, 50 times a year...ok $8 a day...I feel better now. This bike is a steal, I spend more than that on lunch!

[/inner monologue]

11/12/2007 6:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home