Friday, February 16, 2007

On the road to Everest… the adventure begins…

Everest Prep
Sometimes in life the planets just seem to align. Sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way… like when you get to Delhi, India and the man who doesn't speak any English, other than 5 words required for his job, says "May I please see your visa" - what visa? This time, however, I did have a bit of good luck when a spot opened up on a spring Everest expedition with Adventure Consultants and my job was at a point where my business partner didn’t mind my extended absence.

Now, I first need to tell you that I’m not rich and I’m under no illusion that there is not a stereotype attached to those folks who attempt Everest with a commercially guided group. I am, however, a technically competent climber with some high altitude experience and a long standing desire to climb in the Himalayas. I have been climbing almost all my life on some level and, last November, my wife and I trekked to base camp and up Kala Pattar (18,500’) which rekindled my desire to participate in a season long expedition on an 8000m peak. Finally, the time has arrived. (I hope!)

With all the piggy banks broken and the IRA tapped, I’m now in the process of training for the trip and accumulating the equipment (thanks Backcountry.com!) that I don’t have being more of a low-land climber here in Salt Lake. My plan is to post weekly updates on the preparation and, once the expedition begins, post as frequently as possible on the trek in and from base camp.

Hopefully, this will be a trip of a lifetime… wish me luck!

3 comments

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck! Will you be posting any updates on the Blog? I will be following the climbers again this year and would be interested in following your personal story.

Alan
www.alanarnette.com

2/17/2007 11:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you're ding is the very meaning of life. Good luck!

2/17/2007 6:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Man good luck! We are all rootin' for ya. Will be following your expedition and posting reports on my own blog "The Adventurist"

Have the time of your life and be safe.

J. Alan Hendricks, Editor "The Adventurist"

www.thehendricksreport.wordpress.com

2/20/2007 5:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home