Friday, July 13, 2007

Mississippi kayak challenge completed successfully

I reached New Orleans Wednesday, July 11, at 1:30 pm CST. My journey ended at Audubon Park, a few miles from downtown and the French Quarter. I paddled a total of 2,742 km (1,704 miles) in 59 days.

It was quite the adventure, and a wild ride at times. I did 1,467 km (912 miles) in the last 23 days, without a break. Between Cairo, IL and Baton Rouge, LA the Mississippi is a big, wild river with nobody around, and very few towns on or near the river. It is wilder in some places now than it was 100 years ago.

It certainly is one of the more challenging things I've ever done, but also one of the most rewarding. And I'll do it all again.

I held up very well. I stayed motivated and disciplined throughout the journey, and never became demoralized, not even on the really hard days, of which I had my fair share. I never once thought about giving up, nor did I doubt that I would reach my destination. I am a lot thinner, and hopefully a little wiser too. I remained in good health throughout, and never had as much as a headache, in spite of all the strain on my body, being on the river for 10 or more hours every day, and hundreds of mosquito and other insect bites.

Thank you all for your interest in my crazy adventure, and for the material and moral support. I have posted new images on my photo gallery, and will be posting more journal entries to my blog soon

2 comments

2 Comments:

Blogger Patagonia Community said...

It's fun and inspiring to read about all of the different events and adventures going on. Keep on doing it and posting about it!
-patagoniacommunity.blogspot.com

7/17/2007 11:09 PM

 
Blogger powstash said...

Great stuff Jacob! It's awesome to hear about how wild the river still is despite the belief otherwise. Certainly shows that adventure is closer than we often think it is.

7/19/2007 11:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home